Tuesday, March 4, 2008

How many frogs do I have to kiss before I find my prince?

Okay, so I haven't kissed any of my dates just yet. I'm not feeling the chemistry...I guess it takes more than a date or two to get there. But there are other more important issues. My good friend challenged me today to- dare I say it- date outside of my comfort zone. As a general preference, I've never dated white boys (WB's). Contrary to popular (stereotypical) belief, this "spicy"- I fuc*ing hate that word- Latina is not into the WB's despite the stereotype that we want the American dream and find ourselves a nice WB to marry and take us away from our frijoles and tortillas in the barrio- so not into the internalized racism. Okay, sorry, I told myself I would be nice so as not to scare the WB's off.

I don't have anything against them, they can be nice. Some are even somewhat good looking- Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Harrison Ford (c'mon- he played Han Solo AND Indiana Jones!). However, I find that my hesitation in getting involved with this particular breed comes from something that's very important to me...culture- or lack thereof. 'Papa sin sal" (flavorless) is how I've heard them described by close friends tired of being approached at a crowded bar by a drunk WB speaking Spanish with a horrible accent, "Whola, kuomo esta senerita"? Give me a break! But seriously, I can't discount an entire race of people based on a few bad apples, otherwise I'd be just like them, oh wait, that wasn't nice either. Oh well! I changed my settings on the website- we'll see who pops up, stay tuned.

No comments: