Friday, August 15, 2008

Hayes Valley-Girl

So not all of you know this, but I lived in Hayes Valley in the mid-90's when this community sported lived in storefronts, pimps and their hos (Rappin' 4-tay would drive by in his ragtop Caddie on the regular) and was at the end of the Central Freeway. Despite some challenges, there was a real community here that watched each other's kids on the block and loved Powell's Place chicken and black-eyed peas, and peach cobbler (Powell's relocated to the Jazz Preservation District and subsequently closed deep in rent arrears- but that's another story) and really felt like part of the Fillmore when I was here. The Afrikan boutique sold champa and reggae and you could find plenty of parking and cheap eats in the area. (Glad to see the drag bar Marlena's is still here) and that Flippers burgers survived the hipsterfication of the neighborhoodm (worked there as a waitress for a week before I figured out that the owner was an ass). But let's go back to the 90's for a moment: the shadows cast by the freeway were only superceded by the ones cast by the social disinvestment- little did they know- the little junk shop selling Star Trek figurines and Dungeons and Dragons would move over so economic development could have a turn.

As I strolled to City Hall from Haight and Laguna yesterday, I took the scenic route, down Hayes Street to check out some of my favorite spots like the German 'soup kitchen' Suppenkuche and Frijtz (which just opened its relocated business next door). Let's not mention Place Pigalle, where I spent too many underage nights drinking Rolling Rock and shooting pool). I was curious as to what other businesses sprung up since the last time I played at Lang and took the team to Hayes Street for beers and pizza.

I think I like the european spots (above). Both sport Belgian and German ales, and a menu that's sure to carbo-load the girls enough so you won't see them for the rest of the week as they're burning off the cals on the Marina green. But anyway...

I bring up Hayes Street because like many darlings of the dot.com and hipsterfication, it's also going through some hard times. The SALE, SALE, SALE signs were everywhere. Frijtz was forced to relocate because the landlord wanted much, much, much more rent so we lost the patio in the back...the old location is papered over. The market across the street is now covered in Mirkarimi signs...and a photo gallery...how long are these businesses going to last? And without any chains (Hayes Valley merchants based a formula retail ban in 2005). So I ask, what is going to happen to the brave entrepreneurs that took a chance on this transitional neighborhood? It's up to you I guess.

No comments: