Friday, September 5, 2008

Coconut Noodle Soup

I was feeling like a little comfort food so last night I hung out with my favorite Burmese family for a little On Noh Kauswer (Oh No! Kaw Sway). This traditional Burmese dish brings back memories of long nights sitting around the kitchen table talking shit with my ex'es family in Burmese, Cantonese and English while eating until my eyes rolled into the back of my head. My kitchen Burmese is pretty shoddy but I got my steaming hot bowl of noodles covered in just the right amount of simmered chicken with curry, egg noodles, onion, egg, and blood sausage- yeah baby!

After about a decade of sitting around the kitchen table slurping noodles together, I realize it's time to move on. Although I love my ex-boyfriend's family and that I feel like a part of it, I'll never really BE a part of it. What we had is over and it became even more apparent as I sat there with him eating our noodles in silence.- there's really nothing more to say. At least I can take my kitchen Burmese and it's secrets with me.

Authentic Burmese
For a traditional Burmese eating experience, check out Burma Superstar. The wait is usually about 2 hours, but luckily this restaurant is conveniently located on a busy and crowded section of Clement St. in the Richmond District. I advise you to sign your name and write your cell phone number next to it on the clipboard hanging on the wall and go check out Green Apple Books, Kamei (a HUGE houseware store that rivals Ikea's dish selection (and prices)) and a ton of cafe's, creperies and other interesting things to keep you busy and hungry for your Burmese feast.

No comments: